Welcome to the Department of Health and Physical Education
believe that the physical education program must be one that provides
an environment conducive to development of total fitness and overall
wellness within the student.
Since education is an individual
experience, a variety of activities is offered which allows each
student to find some physical activities in which he/she can experience
some measure of success. The teacher must provide an atmosphere whereby
the student will perceive physical activity as an enjoyable, beneficial
and meaningful experience.
It is the teacher's responsibility
to provide a program that educates and motivates the student to eagerly
and frequently participate in physical activities to make his/her life
healthier and happier. The program and teacher must strive to make the
student aware of the interrelationship between physical activity,
fitness development, personal health and longevity and hopefully modify
his/her attitudes and behaviors to make a commitment to health related
fitness throughout his/her life.
The primary purpose of physical
education is to provide knowledge, develop physical and motor skills
and enhance self-concepts, socialization skills and overall wellness so
that the student can pursue and maintain healthy lifestyles and leisure
behaviors after the school years. Activities and approaches will be
adapted as necessary to enhance the success of each individual
regardless of his/her abilities.
The physical education program
must strive to instill within the student a sense of fitness
consciousness for the present and future that cause him/her to be
self-motivated to develop a healthy, lifelong activity pattern. It is
not enough to have knowledge and be able to perform certain psychomotor
and physical skills. The student must learn to value the physical self
and one's overall wellness. The program must cultivate within each
student a desire to properly maintain the physical self as well as
provide the knowledge and skills necessary to continually improve
physical capabilities and overall fitness.
We seek a program in which students:
1. Actively participate in physical education activities.
2. Dress appropriately for physical activity.
3. Actively participate in warm-up exercises prior to participation in physical activity.
4. Demonstrate correct execution of warm-up and conditioning exercises.
5. Actively participate in drills designed to improve execution of skills
6. Incorporate skills in game and activity performance.
7. Demonstrate a knowledge of the rules governing physical activities.
8. Demonstrate a knowledge of the concepts inherent to physical activities.
9. Participate successfully in physical education activities.
Exhibit acceptable, social interaction skills, such as cooperation,
teamwork and sportsmanship, when participating in activities.
11. Exhibit a positive outlook toward physical activity.
12. Recognize the importance of cardiovascular development, physical fitness, psychomotor development and coordination.
13. Adhere to safety rules and regulations as established by the physical education department.
MAJOR GOALS OF THE PHYSICAL EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
The following list of goals reflect the inclusion of the New Jersey Department of Education Core Curriculum Content Standards.
Students will develop an awareness of the role physical and
health-related fitness activities play in the total health and
well-being of the individual.
2. Students will realize the
importance of including physical activity in their leisure-time
activities to promote lifelong wellness.
3. Students will learn
and apply movement concepts, elements of rhythm, biomechanical
principles and skills that foster participation in physical activities
4. Students will learn and apply knowledge
about health-related fitness concepts, assessment methods and
evaluation activities in order for them to develop a personal fitness
plan and maintain acceptable levels of fitness.
5. Students will learn health promotion and disease prevention concepts and health-enhancing
6. Students will learn and apply basic principles of training to lessen chance of sports' injuries.
7. Students will learn health-enhancing personal, interpersonal, and life skills.
Students will enhance personal capabilities to assess and respond to
behaviors and situations that threaten the health, safety and
well-being of one's self and others.
9. Students will
demonstrate the application of appropriate rules, strategies, and
behaviors as a participant in and observer of physical activities.
Students will develop personal attitudes and behaviors that are
conducive to self-fulfillment and positive social interaction.
11. Students will develop awareness of the careers that are available in the area of physical education.